This type of education consists of all kinds of deliberate influences outside formal educational institutes. It is characterized by less formal features but have the same formative predestination. Educative actions that are included in this type of education are flexible and come to meet particular interests of each individual.
Non-formal education is rooted at the beginning of education concept appearance. It is often considered an intermediary type of education as it is accessible for those who can't involve in formal education: poor, analphabets, handicapped, etc. The principles of non-formal education are following:
- protection of the persons who want to improve in fields like: agriculture, commerce, industry;
- motivation of individuals to rationally use intellectual and personal resources;
- professional advancing or changing of the professional activity;
- health education and rationalization of free time;
- elimination of analphabetism.
All these principles can be easier achieved if the non-formal education is completed by formal education. At the same time, non-formal education is just a minor matter if took apart from entire system of education.
Evaluation of the non-formal education can be effectuated observing activities like: school sport activities, interest circles, competitions, youth organizations, etc.
These activities are also guided by trained persons, but their role is minimal, they usually act like moderators or coordinators.
Non-formal education is also about information individuals get from broadcasting and TV. But it should be mentioned that most of the information is destructive to intellectual personality formation. Specialized school television, or some scientific programmes are exceptions. Great impacts have books and some magazines and papers.
The main things that distinguish non-formal education from formal education is its content and ways of its realization.
In short, non-formal education is characterized by:
- concrete answer to fixed requirements;
- allows abstract understanding of theoretical knowledge;
- the teaching factor is excluded , while the learning factor is present and is completed by self-education.