Learning in Group
Team work features a close system of knowledge exchange. This kind of learning is as effective as individual one, but it isn't applicable for all students. This type of learning feedbacks in future assuring a good practice of team work and helps young people to accommodate to collective work. It is considered that this type of learning is very efficient and helps solving easier problems; proposes more variants and possibilities for any situation. At the same time collective learning looses individual approach to matters and issues.
Learning in group or team work is 100% efficient when there is a common purpose or a final goal shared by all members. If to apply this kind of learning in higher institutions of education it will have the following impact:
- information will be divided between members of learning group, which will assure a equal informational base to all members of the group;
- in time intellectual level of group members equals and possibilities differ very slightly;
- individual attitude towards any item is vague, but it is present;
- it is widened the array of opinions and options towards a certain matter.
Learning in group is suggested when complex matters or problems should be solved. It is useless to apply it when the discussed subject/object is simple to understand and assimilate. There always are more than one opinions, solutions or options; from which should be chosen the best one. At the same time, there are no 'better ideas' or 'better solutions'; almost all are good in a context or another. It usually is discussed.
Expressing an opinion in a team work means responsibility and courage, because on this opinion (decision, option, solution) might depend other members of team.
There are no determined rules, methods or proceedings applied in group learning. It basically depends on activity area and on studied subject.
Advantages of group learning:
- role and responsibility of each member is determined;
- rapid problem solution;
- detecting leaders;
- discovering abilities and characteristics of group member;
- find out preferences.